Sunday, December 19, 2010

Phase Three

I've made it through surgery, (having a baby), and chemotherapy.  Now for the last phase of this... Radiation.
I met with the Radiation Oncologist last Friday.  It went well.  It was just a short consult to talk about the pros and cons of radiation.  I haven't loved the idea of having so much... 5 days a week for 6 weeks!  However, after hearing the statistics, I feel it is a must.  With the type of cancer that I HAD (triple negative), without radiation therapy there is a 30%  chance of local recurrence.  With radiation therapy that slides way down to only 3%.  It is something that I must do.  Luckily, the side effects are minimal (fatigue) and localized to the treatment site (redness and slight swelling). This  means my hair will keep growing back :)!  I have a little peach fuzz.  Boy, I thought it was exciting to watch grass grow from seed, but watching my hair grow back is much more exciting!  A good friend of mine gave me some hair products that I use religiously in hopes that my hair will grow back thick and maybe sooner than later.  I'm hoping by spring to have a little pixey hair style.  That  is an exciting prospect.  The hair loss hasn't been that hard for me, but now it seems like a constant reminder of what has happened.  Although I am learning so much through this process and I will never be the same person that I was (in a good way), I am ready to have this be a thing of the past. 

From my reading this morning:
"And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.  And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions."     Mosiah 24:13-14  Book of Mormon

1 comment: